Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Why Do Dogs Pee on Fire Hydrants?


This was the question I was asked by my youngest son today! Kids always amaze me! I wasn't positive on why dogs pee on fire hydrants...but had a good idea....so needless to say it was a bit difficult to answer....

I thought to myself to say...go "Google" it buddy. That statement is sad in more ways than one...but that's another rant on another day..

So, the old man went to trusty "Google". According to Answerbag:

...it's like a tree stump in a city. Dogs normally mark on trees, but cities have few of them so hydrants will do. They would pee on signposts but they are too narrow so they would miss. Hydrants are nice and fat, and just the right size. When they sniff hydrants they gather all kinds of information.... like Pippi the poodle was there that day and she's in heat, or that Boris the wolfhound has a bladder infection or that Max the pit bull had fish for dinner. They sniff dried pee to gather data, the same way we surf the internet to learn about the world.

So, Jackson...there ya go buddy! You made my day with that question!

It's all about the little things in life, and for me, there are three of them! The joy my boys bring to me each and every day is something I will always be grateful for.

Now, I just need to make sure he isn't trying to pee on a fire hydrant...

No comments: