Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving...With My Homeboys...Random Bloggin

I am looking forward to spending several days with my boys... We are heading south to eat a ton of food (not really CV), relax, play some poker, workout everyday, and spend quality time with the family. I have a lot to be thankful about...I have an awesome support crew extending far and wide. Family, friends, coach, etc. You guys and gal are all awesome!!!!

I have spent quite a bit of time reflecting on the past couple of years. As far as racing, I didn't all last year. No structured training, nothing. I came to realize I miss it. Quite a bit. Perhaps it was a needed break. I left 2007, feeling extremely fit and in the best shape of my life. I had great results in training, made huge gains from placing 4th overall , winning my age-group, to a disaster in Morgantown Half (heart cath), to disaster at Luvall (marathon walk). Thankfully, I am healthy both physically and mentally.

I love this puzzle we call Ironman. You put in so much time and energy into training for a single day that can go well or fall apart. That's the attraction for me. Solving problems and thus....

I have decided to enter another Ironman for next year. I was settled on IMAZ until it sold out in 20 minutes (work did get in the way of registering!!!). So now I am looking at bringing it to Luvall (I have some unfinished business down there) for 2010. I am familiar with the course, have family that lives there (means CHEAP), and was extremely dissapointed in 2007 with my result. Hell, I was dissapointed in a lot of ways in 2007 with all the up and down moments. Motivation is easy. I know I can do well. I know how much fun it is to race when you have people out cheering you on wanting to be there supporting you. I can't freaking wait!!!

On top of IMLOU, I am thinking of racing mostly local events. Nothing solid yet...Im not going over the top. Just a drop in hear and there. I do like the idea of TTT again (camping with kids could be fun if they are up to it), a half-ironman somewhere in between, and certainly the Capital City Half marathon around the corner. My focus right now is on running...and getting the volume back. I need to become light on my feet. So much work to do, but damn it's fun to train with a purpose.

It did take me a while to figure out if I have the mental energy to train long, train hard, be focused, and still be a great dad. What I came to realize was that I like to train and race. I have an awesome coach who can make you really, really fast (it's all relative...for me I seem fast!)I have to be flexible and willing to adapt. Early morning's will be my friend. I will also be on the indoor trainer a ton! As far as the Dad part, I have no doubt about that...

On that note, it's time to bulk up for winter. Turkey, Turkey, Turkey.

No comments: